Sep 28, 2024

Retirement - Year Two

 Well it has been almost a year since my last post.  I have entered into my second year of retirement and I haven't really done any of the things I wanted to do.  In other words, I have been lazy, or depressed, or incapacitated, or lonely. So instead of dwelling on what I haven't done I am going to start to think about what I would like to do but not completely leaving out what I need to do.

FAMILY UPDATE

In April 2024, Brandon moved out to his first apartment to live on his own.  He found a place in Easton, Pa. on a nice street in a house on the first floor. It is a one bedroom 1 1/2 bath with a nice big kitchen and living room.  The eating area is a small alcove off the kitchen and central hallway.  I am so proud of him but at the same time I miss him dearly. Even though he hardly ate here I at least I knew he was upstairs. He does stop by at least once a week to see me and the dogs.  Hopefully he is learning to cook for himself and not eating out all the time.

Christopher has had a rough year so far. In January we found out Maggie had a torn ACL in her rear right leg. She had surgery at the beginning of February and came home a day later.  Tending to her was hard, especially with the diarrhea and vomiting.  We set up a fenced in area for her where her crate usually sat.  After a while we had to let Teddy in to the area so they could sleep and cuddle together. But as the weeks went by she began to move and walk better but her throwing up and diarrhea was not getting better. After many blood tests showed nothing I convinced Chris to have Maggie get an ultrasound. The beginning of June gave us the bad news Chris figured we would get.  Maggie has cancer.  Specifically, small intestinal cancer.  Is this just like humans?  Open them up and they end up with cancer somewhere.  We decided on palliative care since the tumor was in a very tight section of the intestines. She has continued to throw up and have diarrhea but has also become lethargic, not eating or drinking and just sleeping as the weeks pass. There have been a few times we thought this might be the end and she bounces back.  At this point she has 4 bad days and 3 good days.  So now we just wait and give her all the love she deserves. And cry.


No comments: