Dec 15, 2008

A Family Member Gone

I recently found out one of my uncles passed away in 2002. I sit here wondering why I was never told. I have gone through the anger stage with my mother's family and have accepted that he is gone. I called this man, Uncle Buddy, his given name was Edward. Most of my life I was not close to him. I really don't know why, but I do remember as a child, that the size of this man scared the heck out of me. As I got older and became a member of the Eastern Star I saw him more often when he would come to the meetings. When my parents died, I was told he was in a nursing home (The Masonic Masons) and he had developed problems due to diabetes and that he wouldn't see anyone but one of my other uncles', Bruce.
So as a Memory Keeper, I search for death records and came across my Unlce Buddy's. It just reinforced my feelings that once your parents die you have no more relatives. Letters written don't get responded to and death information doesn't get passed around to the left-out family members. I was an only child growing up and I am an only child all grown up with no relatives.

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

I am so sorry that you found out about your uncle this way. I do know what you are feeling. My cousin Richard is a pastor in Blawenburg and the last time I saw him (and we don't see each other very often, just basicallly exchange Christmas cards) I asked him about his parents and he relayed that information. Then I asked about our Uncle John, who sadly I had last spoken to to give him the news of my own fathers death. Richard told me that they had buried him in the Griggstown Cemetery. No one had called us to tell us, we didn't know he had died. I'll never forget that feeling - like the floor dropped out from under you!